We have a very nice wildflower display now in Chancery Place, enormously enhancing the beauty of the south-east corner of the Four Courts site, but what lies beneath it? Watch the below video to find out about the lost chapel of Mass Lane, visited by not one but two kings. Was it the original chapel of St Saviour’s Priory, the original occupant of the Four Courts site? Does any of it still remain? Who wants to start digging up the flowerbed first?
Join me on a virtual trip around the Four Courts, Dublin, Ireland’s centre of justice for over 200 years, where most of the events archived on this website took place.
From the Freeman’s Journal, 19 February 1921:
TREASURE HUNTERS HAUNTS
Reminiscences of Dublin’s Old Book Stores
(By M. M. O’H.)
“The old bookshops of Dublin! What a vista of pleasant thoughts they create. What delightful experiences of eager prowlings round their shelves, of unexpected ‘finds,’ of surprising bargains, of staunch friends acquired at trifling cost, of jostlings with ardent book-hunters – poets and prosewriters, judges, doctors, artists, musicians, a formidable
Every bit of the Four Courts has a story and the sculptures over the entrances into the grassed courtyards on either side of the portico are no exception.
Originally depicted with some artistic licence in early illustrations of the Four Courts, the 19th century camera (which never lies) show these sculptures as in fact depicting a lion and a unicorn surrounding a harp surmounted by a crown – the British crown, in fact, with
It’s often said that the Four Courts is not a place for children, but sometimes their presence there is necessary, as in the case of 11-year-old Joseph Moloney who turned up in the Four Courts in May 1924 to give evidence in his claim against Mayo County Council. Moloney had found an unlocked box of gelignite belonging to the Council’s building contractor in a field near Barrett’s Forge, Irishtown, Foxford in March 1953. He then lit the tail of one piece of gelignite, held